In a previous post I’ve described the “Centipede’s dilemma” that may affect your team.
Here’re some rules to avoid this Centiped’s dilemma and make your team as efficient as possible :
- be clear on the objective : if team members know what they have to achieve, they will not loose time in discussions.
- be as clear as possible on the plan : what are the milestones, the deliverables.
- be clear that the team has to success, not to explain the failure.
- on a project reuse standard templates from previous projects (for minutes of meetings, …) : we need to reuse, reuse, resue… No creativity is needed for templates, templates will help people to focus on the essential.
- set a standard who / what / when template for action lists : people should not spend days to put in place action lists
- define proper governance model with at least 2 level (operational / steering) and be sure to make it work as soon as possible.
- be sure to involve experienced team members. They will detect “centipede dilemma” effect and react immediately to propose ways to proceed.