1 year ago I decided that my word for 2016 would be “Focus” and I’m very happy about it.
This idea of replacing the traditional New Year’s resolutions by just 1 word is an idea I took from Benoit Curdy and for 2016 it works for me. I really made progress, it helped me to be more efficient and enjoy life (1 tab in browser is quite challenging but I love it 🙂 )
It’s now time to decide what will be my new word for 2017 and it will be “Learn“.
I’ve always been in a “learning” attitude. During my career, I’ve jumped between different topics, businesses, jobs.
Learning new things is key to be able to invent, innovate.
In the tech area, many things are happening: block-chain, Artificial Intelligence, Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, autonomous cars, chatbots, platforms, and also Arduino, raspberry, IoT, …
The world is changing very fast thanks to new technologies and it’s going faster and faster.
Looking back at what has happened in the last 10 years, is really mind-blowing.
Didn’t exist in 2006:
— Vala Afshar (@ValaAfshar) 23 janvier 2017
What will happen in the next 10 years?
In order to really understand what is happening, be able to anticipate trends, and innovate I think it’s even more important to learn.
My objective for this year will be to spend the time to learn new things, especially in the tech area.
That will include
- learn more about A.I. I know the theory of neural networks as I studied it in the ’90 but I need to learn how to use it now (could be with google Tensorflow or others)
- learn new development languages (should be node.js and Angular.js)
- learn how to assemble hardware to build simple automation in my house (could be this or that)
- learn more about block-chain (not sure what I can do with that).
In order to learn I’ll have to :
- Dedicate time to this activity (this means less time other things, I’ll have to make choices)
- Read more and more: As Confucius said: “You cannot open a book without learning something.”. Last year I read 10 books, I plan to read at least 15 this year.
- Try things, experiment. I’ll try as much as possible to implement concrete things. Experiment means failure, and failure means learning.
- Share as much as possible. Share with my friends, my colleagues, my family but also online. I’m a heavy user of Twitter and LinkedIn, I will be more present on Facebook to share and interact with others (especially to learn how it works )
I wish you a wonderful year!