This morning, I connected to my favorite amazon.fr (yes, I’m in France) to order a book.
And… fantastic news… on the home page, I can read “The new kindle is now available for ordering“.
This is a news I’m waiting for months.
The things I’m waiting from a kindle are :
- be able to buy a new book and have it immediatly (yes, I’m quite impatient sometimes…)
- have just 1 thing to bring in which I’ve all my books. I often read few books at the same time…
- have my favorite newspaper directly at home. I love reading newspaper, but it’s sometimes boring to go and buy them (especially in winter, cold weather…)
So this news made me very happy !
I plan to buy a kindle since the first day. Why didn’t I do it yet ?
First because it was not available where I live (before in Singapore, now in France).
I know I can still order it from US or buy on eBay, but no. I do not like to buy items that are not available where I’m because I know it will be painfull to use (what happen if it fails ? ….)
Second, because of the price. I think my limit is 220 USD which is quite the price for US people now.
So, will I get a kindle for Christmas ?
This is not sure…
- The price is still a little bit to high (when I place the order… the price goes to 334 USD to be compared to my 220 USD limit …+50% )
- I need to check which books are really available (this a quite important point !). Should be ok, books are read are mainly in english and about tech topics.
- I also need to know which french newspapers are availabble (I know “le monde” is)
- Finally, I’m not sure about the wireless connection. Is it 3G ? Wifi ? Will it work in France ? If I go in other countries (Italy, Singapore, …) will it work ?
One strange thing is that amazon do not really communicate or tease about it.
So, let’s think about it… and maybe wait for an android eBook ?
- the kindle available is the “kindle 2” while last version is Kindle DX…
- the kindle is available for France Italy
- the kindle is not available for Singapore (strange)